Diversity of Board Expertise Positions BAN for Success
April 7, 2016 (North Miami, FL) – BAN Productions, a nonprofit organization founded in 2012 to fight the problems of food insecurity and food waste, announced today that nine leaders in the fields of food management, culinary arts, medicine and nutrition, and community engagement have joined its Board of Directors for a two-year term. The diverse new board members join Founder and Board President, John Rossetti, to help him fulfill his vision for fighting hunger in South Florida by connecting communities in need with readily available sources of fresh ingredients, nutrition education and recipe training.
BAN, which stands for Balanced and Nutritious, leverages its relationships with major food distributors and suppliers in Florida that have large, regular supplies of surplus food. Much of the available food supplies are fresh ingredients that cannot be frozen or stored for future use. BAN takes those fresh ingredients and teaches people how to prepare a healthy, nutritious and balanced meal using recipes inspired by Rossetti’s late partner, Chef David Holtquist.
“I am thrilled to have brought together such an inspirational group of leaders who share my vision for giving back to the community,” said John Rossetti, who outside of BAN Productions is an award-winning chef and owner of 2Taste Catering. “Together I know they can help me reach out to people living in food deserts and teach them how to incorporate even the most unfamiliar fresh ingredients into family meals.”
Joining Rossetti on BAN Productions’ Board of Directors are:
- Diane Levesque, a classically-trained culinary artist who is a consulting chef to 2Taste Catering and BAN Productions;
- Tim Whitteberry, a business consultant who helps industry leaders thrive in a connected world;
- Cindy Thomson, who leads food service company Sysco’s Spokane operations and is a trained educator and coach;
- Julie Mansfield, is an event planner, author, social entrepreneur and community activist, and founder of the International Black Food Festival;
- Barbara Crowe, a community activist and Team “Mom” for various South Florida civic teams;
- Olman Murillo, who is a procurement specialist for FreshPoint, North America’s leading produce distributor;
- Claudia Lara, a community involvement manager for Southeastern Grocers, which is the parent company of BI-LO, Harveys and Winn-Dixie grocery stores;
- William Stearns, a financial advisor to 2Taste Catering and former financial systems expert for Royal Caribbean Cruises; and
- Dr. Kim Jacobsen, a family medicine practitioner who specializes in nutrition and weight control, and owner of the Lincoln Field Clinic, which serves migrant workers and their families.
“Although BAN Productions began as a shared vision with David to give back to our community and create a lasting legacy, I will need help implementing our vision,” said Rossetti. “BAN’s Board of Directors is an integral part of our long-term success.”